[csaa-forum] CFP Migrant/diasporic cinema - Extended Deadline

Daniela Berghahn dberghahn at brookes.ac.uk
Wed Dec 7 22:28:42 CST 2005

Dear colleagues,

please note that the deadline for proposals has been extended to 27
January 2006.

CFP: Migrant and Diasporic Cinema in Contemporary Europe
An International Conference hosted by Film Studies and the Institute
for Historical and Cultural Research, Oxford Brookes University and
held at  Lincoln College, Oxford, 6 – 8 July 2006

With European cinemas becoming increasingly determined by multi-
cultural and multi-ethnic presences and themes, critical paradigms
which examine these cinemas in terms of their national specificity do
not adequately address the shift from the national to the
transnational which has occurred in all areas of European cinema
during the past twenty-five years. This conference seeks to explore
how migrant and diasporic filmmakers have redefined our understanding
of European cinema. By adopting a comparative perspective in our
search for the commonalities and specificities between migrant and
diasporic cinemas across different European countries, we endeavour
to transcend the borders and limitations of an analytical framework
that privileges the concept of discrete national cinemas.

Confirmed keynote speakers include:
Professor Hamid Naficy, Rice University, Texas
Professor Dina Iordanova, University of St. Andrews
Professor Robert Burns, University of Warwick
Pawel Pawlikowski, independent filmmaker (Last Resort, My Summer of
Love)

The conference is supported by the Arts and Humanities Research
Council. It is the first of a series of events organised by a
Research Network which contributes to the AHRC Diasporas, Migration
and Identities Programme.

Please visit the conference website for further details and a
downloadable  Call for Papers:

http://ah.brookes.ac.uk/conferences/migrant_cinema

Please send a proposal of 200 - 300  words for a paper of approx. 20
minutes, together with your contact details and a brief biographical
note to the following email address: dberghahn at brookes.ac.uk

The deadline has been extended to 27 January 2006. Please mark
subject box 'Migrant cinema conference'.

Dr Daniela Berghahn
Principal Lecturer in German and Film Studies
Oxford Brookes University
School of Arts and Humanities
Headington Campus
Oxford