[csaa-forum] African Cultures in Australia

Raya Massie rmassie at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 28 08:35:27 CST 2005

hi everyone,

I'm doing some research on Africans / African-Americans / British-Africans and so on living in Australia from First Fleet to the mid-twentieth century. I'm particularly interested in the early to mid nineteenth century, although any information would be useful. I'm trying to find out how and why they came to Australia, what types of work they did, their cultural, political and racial experiences of being African-Australians, as well as any interactions they would have had with indigenous Australians. If anyone knows of any publications, or documents that might be useful to me - including oral histories such as gossip and family narratives, I would be most grateful.

And also thanks to the organisers for putting on a great conference.

Raya Massie
PhD Candidate
University of Technology
Sydney