[csaa-forum] structures in society

Alan McKee a.mckee at qut.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 16:21:23 CST 2005

>Hello everybody!

I'm just starting to write a Marxist self help book and I'm looking for
some input.

I'm guessing that most CS folk would agree that one of the problems with
individualistic fantasies of aspirational social mobility is that they
ignore very real structural issues in society that impede such mobility.
I'm thinking of things like: access to capital; access to cultural capital;
networking; self-belief (which I think is clearly distributed inequitably
across classes); prejudice against particular groups, etc.

My question, then, of youse guys - what do you think are the main
structural issues which prevent individuals from being treated equitably
under market capitalism?

Please send all suggestions and comments to a.mckee at qut.edu.au.

Cheers,

Alan