[csaa-forum] RQF Concern

Lelia GREEN l.green at ecu.edu.au
Thu Sep 29 18:28:56 CST 2005

Dear CSAA list

Do other members share my concern that the 'Preferred model' of the
Research Quality Framework, recently released for discussion, places
'Journalism [no comma] communication and media' in the Social sciences,
law, education, politics, sociology and indigenous studies panel instead
of in the Humanities panel? The model is available at:
http://www.dest.gov.au/resqual <BLOCKED::http://www.dest.gov.au/resqual>
(and, specifically,
http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/research_sector/policies_issues_reviews/k
ey_issues/research_quality_framework/rqf_preferred_model.htm#The_RQF_Pre
ferred_Model
<BLOCKED::http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/research_sector/policies_issues
_reviews/key_issues/research_quality_framework/rqf_preferred_model.htm#T
he_RQF_Preferred_Model> ).

The ARC has traditionally dealt with journalism, communication and media
studies via the Humanities and Creative Arts panel, and Humanities is
generally constructed as providing the key disciplinary and
methodological orientations for the disciplines as practiced in
Australia.

The Research Quality Assessment Framework (RQAF) Team has asked for
written comments and feedback by the 4th October to:
RQAF Team
Loc 721
Department of Education, Science and Training
GPO Box 9880
Canberra ACT 2601

Fax 02 6123 5717 or 02 6123 5911

Email  rqf at dest.gov.au <BLOCKED::mailto:rqf at dest.gov.au>

While the Academy of the Humanities and the Council of the Humanities,
Arts and Social Sciences etc will all be responding to the Preferred
Framework paper, I believe it is worth our time in making our own
judgements and representations as individual academics and as Schools,
Departments and Faculties.

Lelia Green