[csaa-forum] CHASS "Measures of Quality and Impact"

Toss Gascoigne director at chass.org.au
Mon Sep 19 09:53:20 CST 2005

Dear csaa-forum

We are posting on our web site an extract from a near-final draft of our
report "Measures of Quality and Impact in publicly-funded research in the
humanities, arts and social sciences".

The extract is being released now because of the release of the Research
Quality Framework (RQF) Preferred Model.  It's available at:
www.chass.org.au

We would urge all people interested in the Humanities, Arts and Social
Sciences to respond to this Model by sending your views to rqf at dest.gov.au.

CHASS considers it suffers from two major difficulties: it places undue
emphasis on the 'quality' of research rather than the 'impact' it may have;
and it has not found an adequate way to measure cross-disciplinary research.

Our views are contained in a media release, also posted to the CHASS web
site.

The RQF Preferred Model paper is available at:
www.dest.gov.au/resqual/default.htm

The closing date for responses to the RQF Preferred Model is 4 October 2005.
The final version of the "Measures of Quality and Impact" Report will be
released soon.  This version may differ slightly in content to the version
on our web site, and it will include the four appendices.

Regards

Toss Gascoigne

********
Toss Gascoigne
Executive Director
Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
28 Balmain Cres, ANU, ACT

Postal address
PO Box 8157, ANU, ACT AUSTRALIA 2601

Ph: 02 6249 1995 OR 02 6230 7179