[csaa-forum] CHASS Newsletter September

Toss Gascoigne director at chass.org.au
Fri Sep 9 09:34:48 CST 2005

Dear csaa-forum

Here is the CHASS newsletter for September.  There are now 759 subscribers.

Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
Newsletter 9.  September 2005

1.  NEW CHASS BOARD ELECTED
Elizabeth More, Greg Craven and Stuart Cunningham are the new members
elected to the CHASS Board at the AGM last month.

John Byron, Tom Stannage and Julie Wells all retired from the inaugural
CHASS Board at the AGM in August.  My heartfelt thanks to all three.  They
each made a distinct and significant contribution to the establishment of
CHASS as an effective advocacy body.

The full Board is now:
Malcolm Gillies  (President) - ANU
Linda Rosenman (Vice-president) - UQ
Stuart Hamilton (Secretary) - Open Universities Australia, Melbourne
Julie Dyson (Treasurer) - Dance Council of Australia
Andrea Hull (Chair, Policy Committee) - VCA, Melbourne
Greg Craven - Curtin
Stuart Cunningham - QUT
Elizabeth More - Macquarie
Libby Raupach - Helpmann Academy, Adelaide
Sue Rowley - UTS
Toss Gascoigne (ex-officio, non-voting)

The Policy Committee will be chaired by Andrea Hull, with Stuart Hamilton
and Julie Wells (former Board Member) as members.

2.  THE RESEARCH QUALITY FRAMEWORK (RQF)
The RQF Preferred Models Paper will be released shortly, for comment.  We
understand that comment is due by mind-October.

It is important that the policy-makers hear the voice of the HASS sector!

We will advise all our subscribers when the Models Paper is out, where you
can access it, and the address to make submissions.

3. MEASURES OF QUALITY AND IMPACT IN RESEARCH
The CHASS view on how the humanities, arts and social sciences SHOULD be
evaluated is contained in our paper "Measures of Quality and Impact in HASS
Research."

It sets out an evaluation process which takes into account ALL the outputs
of our diverse sector, not simply papers and citations, and draws heavily on
a consultation process that involved hundreds of people in the HASS sector.

This paper is in the final minutes of drafting.  It will be available to you
as a resource of ideas for submissions to the RQF before the closing date.

4.  "HASS ON THE HILL" 2005
"It was a most successful event, and one that took a day or two to fully
appreciate for its powerful effect. I'd like to thank everyone for their
good work. The panel with feedback; the interesting array of events on the
first day; the rather astonishing performance by Dr Brendan Nelson; the
conviviality and great opportunity to meet people and talk."  Comment by one
participant.

Other feedback from registrants and MPs is on our website:  www.chass.org.au

5.  LETTER TO MINISTER NELSON
Brendan Nelson addressed registrants in the HASS on the Hill event, at a
breakfast meeting in the Mural Hall at Parliament House.

His remarks were seen as very encouraging by registrants, and he received a
warm reception.  There is a general recognition that he has taken a strong
lead in encouraging the humanities, arts and social sciences to take their
rightful place in the policy-making arena.

He did indicate, however, that the Government is reluctant to add to the
existing list of national research priorities.

I wrote to him after the event, to thank him for his support, but also to
point out that people in our sector feel excluded from the priority research
areas, partly because they do not mention key issues of importance for HASS
(eg Asia), and partly because the wording of the priorities is seen as
sciencentric in nature.

I offered our assistance in working on this issue.  We shall seeŠ.

6.  NATIONAL PRESS CLUB ADDRESS
The transcript of Malcolm Gillies' talk available on the web site, along
with photos taken at the lunch at the National Press Club.

Also posted is an excellent address at the Briefing Day by Professor David
Cannadine.

7.  NEXT MAJOR PROJECT
CHASS will shortly be looking at the nature of cross-disciplinary
collaborations between people working the HASS and those in science,
technology, engineering and medicine (STEM).

The aim is look at existing collaborations, and discover the issues they are
tackling, how they began, funding sources, and any difficulties they
encounter.  How can collaborative activity be encouraged?

There will be an opportunity to be involved in this study.  More information
in the next month.

8.  THANKS TO "HASS ON THE HILL" SPONSORS
Our grateful thanks to the following organizations, all sponsors of our
recent event:
Platinum
Australia Council
Australasian Council of Deans of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences

Gold
Australian Academy of the Humanities
Australian Research Council

Silver
Australian Academy of Technological Sciences & Engineering
Group of Eight
Innovative Research Universities
National Tertiary Education Union
Pharmacy Guild of Australia
University of Newcastle

Special sponsors
Australian Council of University Art and Design Schools
Department of Education, Science and Training
National Library of Australia

9.  SYMPOSIA BY THE LEARNED ACADEMIES
a.  "Ideas and Influence", the annual symposium of the Academy of Social
Sciences, is at the Shine Dome in Canberra on 7 November. It includes the
Cunningham Lecture by Paul Kelly.   Ring the Academy for information: (02)
6249 1788

b.  "Creating value: the Humanities and their Publics" is the Academy of the
Humanities annual symposium.  Old Parliament House in Canberra, 17-18
November.  George Negus is among the speakers.  Register online at:
www.humanities.org.au, or phone (02) 6125 9860

Regards
Malcolm Gillies
President, CHASS

********
The best way to keep abreast of activities in CHASS is to register to
receive our newsletter.  Add your name to our distribution list at the home
page of the CHASS web site:  Www.chass.org.au
********
Toss Gascoigne
Executive Director
Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
28 Balmain Cres, ANU, ACT

Postal address
PO Box 8157, ANU, ACT AUSTRALIA 2601

Ph: 02 6249 1995 OR 02 6230 7179