[csaa-forum] Conformist and lacking critical force

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Mon Sep 5 10:08:34 CST 2005

It seems I always pass through Brisbane a day too soon, or too late
(as in this case) for these MACS gatherings, and this sounds like a
good one. I'll put in some pre-contributions on Australian Cultural
Studies, methodology and disciplinarity, and creative industries.
Sorry if it turns into a mini-essay.

I.  "Australian cultural studies" as mentioned in some of Simon
During's rough canon, provoked my initial interest in the whole
concept of academic practice, and I put that forward to ground my
statement that the more I pursue my interest in the ethics of
cultural studies, the further away I feel from identifying with it as
"a discipline". [And I'd be surprised if anyone's feelings of
identification were increased by the itinerary of the recent
discussion :7.] Most of the reasons were flagged by Az, Glen, and
Stephanie, but let me put forward a case to clarify, and rather than
choosing easy targets I'll stick my neck out a bit and look at one of
my favourite pieces of Australian Cultural Studies.

In the inaugural issue of Postmodern Culture in 1990, bell hooks
remarked that Meaghan Morris' bibliography of important contributions
by women to postmodern theory in "The Pirate's Fiancee" lacked
references to work by black women. This oversight is not to be
judged, of course (least of all by me), particularly when Morris has
done far more than just about anyone to attempt to bring Australian
cultural critique out of racist paradigms. But I think the oversight
is symptomatic of a critical *environment* at that time that focussed
analysis within "Australia" more than the transnational forces that
produce the nation state (in our case, colonisation). Morris herself
recognised the need to downplay the nation-state, noting that the
concerns of cultural studies was concerned with "racial, ethnic,
sexual, gender, class, generational, and national differences
(roughly in that order), as these are produced and contested in
history". And I think that it's interesting that her practice seems
to have taken on a certain marginality within parts of the
Australasian scene that valorise her earlier work, now that she has
located herself in a very different set of cultural currents that are
not able to so easily be located with the "national-settler". And I
am purely speculating here, but in listening to Morris lecture on her
experience as an educator in Hong Kong I sense that her trajectory is
partially a recognition of the limitations of what it is possible to
effectively talk about within the disciplinary bounds of an
implicitly nationalist cultural studies.

But my point is that hooks' critique is rarely taken up among the
discussions that find themselves at "home" in an "Australian cultural
studies" - one that seeks to protect itself against any critique that
may identify its foundational exclusions. A properly cultural studies
response, methodologically, would be to take the rupture raised by
hooks' comment as a springboard to prise open the racial construction
of the scene - one where, for example, the rough histories of
Australian Cultural Studies casually put forward as a list of names
like During's rarely include someone like Vijay Mishra, despite his
long history of work in Australia. Or, pedagogically, where Morris'
essay would always be joined with the recognition of that painful
critique.

While I would not identify myself with During's critique, I feel that
the closing of ranks against his valid point is symptomatic of a
significant problem in Australasian cultural studies: parochialism.
And as I tried to undertake the work of placing myself into this
Australian tradition that led me to this field, I perhaps got some
sense of others who are always excluded by that parochialism. Teresia
Teaiwa made the point on the weekend that people who find cultural
identification in the nation always seem to have an index where some
others are not quite proper in their nationalness, whether that is
indigenous groups under the founding violence of colonisation, or
migrants under the contemporary barriers against the movement of
ideas or people into the nation. In the wake of a couple of decades
of scholarship on postcolonial sovereignty, I can't find any hope in
a cultural studies that is not both actively seeking alliances with
resistances in other fields (whether they be theoretical or
institutional) and invested in rigorous critique of its own founding
mythologies, particularly cultural nationalism. And if Australian
cultural studies was that, I don't think there would be a need for
organisations like ACRAWSA.

II. On methodology, I am skeptical of any attempt to define cultural
studies methodologies - even as I take Hall's introduction to
"Culture, Media, Lanugage" to be something of a methodological
manifesto for myself. My reading of that piece was that rigorously
tracing the trajectories of the humanities and social sciences gave
rise to methodological crises within them, and these were
specifically important for simultaneously addressing issues of race,
gender, class, etc. in what was called culture. The attempt to weave
these into a kind of cultural studies ethic gave rise to a
generalised field of social & cultural theory that has been
influential. I would say that now, the importance of that
intervention is visible as a player in the emergence of "culture" in
disciplines from sociology, to law, to medicine, etc.etc. Except,
most "cultural studies" programmes rarely give a systematic view of
how culture is used within specific disciplinary traditions.

Here's a proposition to try out: the average media and cultural
studies work (I include my own) has much less understanding of the
relevant contemporary disciplinary debates in English, philosophy,
anthropology, sociology and economics than in 1980. To be clear, I
should say that I don't think such an understanding is easily
possible, given the sheer amount of academic work produced that is
relevant to understanding "culture", whatever that is.  But the
danger is that by locating method within the object of study (which
can never be defined) Cultural Studies methodology lacks substance,
and cuts itself off from the debates in relevant fields that could
provide substance - particularly, for example, the work on the
politics of translation. I say this because I feel a sense of loss in
my own lack of a disciplinary education, as there are limitations to
the level to which my work can operate in particular domains of
practice. And, as we know through the vocational anxieties, there is
no specific field in which CS can go out to change. Spivak's call at
the end of "Outside in the Teaching Machine", for "Cultural studies"
to be held for graduate rather than undergraduate level study seems
to me to make a lot of sense. CS seems all too quick to guarantee its
own radicality through "interdisciplinarity", without perhaps
recognising the degree to which disciplinary knowledge that can be
*effectively* interwoven with others requires time and work to
acquire. I wish I'd learnt more literary theory when I as younger,
and I feel fairly depressed at how much work is required to learn
enough to really understand what the "text" means in a way that can
be made technically productive within the comparative literature
debates. I don't think that Cultural Studies can any longer say that
those debates are "conservative" or "hostile to race/gender/class/
culture" issues. All disciplines are under this pressure, and it is
in this debate internal to those disciplines, rather than the mere
assertion of their necessity, that is where the work remains to be done.

III. The tension between "pragmatic" and "critical" approaches is
tired. Good pragmatic practice is critical in its evaluation of the
field of practice where it operates. I have a great deal of respect
for the work of Graeme Turner & Hartley/Cunningham in building
institutional shelters for important academic development &
production. That is tough work, and necessary. But it is not the same
as theoretical and methodological research in the discipline. I'm not
saying that I don't think those guys have done any of that, but it's
incorrect and dangerous to collapse the distinction. The
effectiveness of both kinds of practice can both be seen empirically
in either a) FTEs employed or b) take-up of conceptual work in the
field.

Part of the value of Creative Industries is that it does not aim to
be a discipline, and so - like many other flows of capital - breaks
apart a sense of insularity and expands the kinds of connections that
can be made. If I am skeptical about the value of "Cultural Studies"
as an institutional paradigm, I am optimistic about Creative
Industries, because I think that CS work will be rejuvenated as it
engages with media forms not as objects of study, but also in their
production. To attempt to make a media production operate in a sphere
of practice is the kind of "application" of cultural analysis that
can potentially make the avowed politics of cultural studies real. I
find it hard to see a more fruitful institutional development for
fostering that kind of practice than Creative Industries.

There is not much about the CI paradigm that to me has much to do
with methodological debates in cultural studies, or my own cultural
studies ethic (despite my claims to the contrary a few years back).
There is a particular importation of CI discourse in Australia that
has come through figures of the Australian cultural studies scene,
which I think accounts for the binding there. And there are
limitations of CI discourse are readily apparent to both CS scholars
and to economists. I think that the expression of resistance to that
is choosing all too easy targets. But I believe that the
methodological crises raised by the academic production of art and
media works, and the whole creative practice/research debate are the
most fruitful discourses for raising the evident limitations of
contemporary cultural studies, and this can happen when they meet in
a CI-like institutional environment. And through attending to those
limitations, I can see some of the cultural studies I was initially
attracted to emerging. And I see some of this ethic in the young
scholars whose identification with cultural studies is a space of
unsettlement rather than settlement.

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net