[csaa-forum] Re: Early Career Researchers

Jordan Williams jordan at cartocorpus.com
Wed Aug 31 08:29:04 CST 2005

Hi
Really interesting discussion and I don¹t consider myself well enough
steeped in the history of Australian Cultural Studies to add to that
particular point. Rather I¹m learning from the debates.

But what I do know about is being an older early career researcher. Can I
just say how marginalising I find the use of the phrase Œyounger researcher¹
in place of Œearly¹ - being in your late 40s (or in the case of one of my
really inspiring colleagues ­ her late 60s), age is a pretty irrelevant
factor when it comes to the hope that we might contribute to cultural
studies research within the academy. So the implicit assumption that all
people starting a research career are young, whatever that might mean, is
the kind of battle that one faces every day in the academy when trying to
kick start an academic/research career beyond the point at which some people
think one should have had a real job. Being young/old/male/female/gay ­
whatever ­ brings problems within what is really a very bureaucratic and
traditional environment. Which, I suppose, speaks to the contribution that a
cultural studies presence can make not only in looking out from academic
institutions, but also looking inward.

Jordan Williams
Lecturer
School of Creative Communication
Communication and Education Division
University of Canberra  ACT 2601

Phone:  +61 (0)2 6201 5194
Email:  Jordan.Williams at canberra.edu.au

Australian Government Higher Education
Registered Provider CRICOS: #00212K

NOTICE & DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it may
contain confidential or copyright material and are for the attention of the
addressee only.  If you have received this email in error please notify us
by email reply and delete it from your system.  The University of Canberra
email.