[csaa-forum] Don't save the 'best' for last

Mel Campbell incrediblemelk at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 30 20:35:06 CST 2005

My esteemed ladeez and gentz,

As someone practising cultural studies from outside
the academy, I am used to being considered irrelevant,
so please take the controversial suggestion I'm about
to make with a sack of salt.

What I propose is nothing less than the abolition of
the email sign-off 'Best' from all academic
correspondence.

What does 'Best' mean, exactly? A shortened version of
'Best wishes'? (Why not type the additional seven
keystrokes?) A challenge? ("Sir, I venture that in the
field of poststructuralist hermeneutics you shall not
best me!") Or, an indication that you are simply into
Tina Turner? ("...Better than all the rest!")

Early career academics: it's your duty to think and
speak radically and ridiculously! Under the burden of
nostalgic nationalism you are expected to squeak like
mice - it's time to roar like horses! Finding the
right tangents is its own Creative Industry!

Remember, the future of an entire discipline may rest
on a single sign-off,

Rock!

Mel Campbell.