[csaa-forum] against national cult stud

John Grech John.M.Grech at student.uts.edu.au
Tue Aug 30 18:11:03 CST 2005

Hello Aren and anyone else whose following this thread,

Aren Aizura wrote

>Hi all,
>
>I've been reading this discussion with interest, and find myself wondering why
>the question has been framed in terms of 'Australian cultural studies' in the
>first place, as if it were necessary for cult stud to be iconised here as a
>national pastime with its own truly-Australian folk heroes.

It may interest you to know that the move to
catagorise different forms of cultural studies
practices according to geography are not unique,
and can be found, to cite one example, Toby
Miller's A Companion to Cultural Studies where
you'll find a number of other writers, including
Graeme Turner, writing about this in a section
called "Part II: Places". This is not, in any
way, to suggest that I necessarily agree with all
that such writers argue. In this instant I have
just adopted such discourses, as indeed, it
framed this whole discussion.  In fact the
division between Australian cultural studies and
other regions was set up by the quote from Simon
During which was included in Melissa Greg's
original post. You may wish to recall that is was
that post which started this discussion of. I'll
quote During once again as it appears you havent
read it.

"Nowadays Australian cultural studies is
increasingly normalised, concentrating on
cultural policy studies and, often uncritically,
on popular culture and the media. Indeed it is in
Australia that the celebration of popular culture
as a liberating forceŠ first took off through
Fiske and Hartley's contributions. The young
populists of the seventies now hold senior posts
and what was pathbreaking is becoming a norm. The
readiness of a succession of Australian
governments to encourage enterprise universities
has empowered the old tertiary technical training
departments in such areas as communications,
allowing them to have an impact on more abstract
and theorised cultural studies in ways that
appear to have deprived the latter of critical
force. Furthermore, the structure of research
funding, which asks even young academics to apply
for grants, has had a conformist effect. Perhaps
Australian cultural studies offers us a glimpse
of what the discipline would be like were it to
become relatively hegemonic in the humanities."

-Simon During, Cultural Studies: A Critical Introduction (2005) p.26

>What is the 'Western academic world'? Does such a thing exist except in the
>minds of quote unquote antipodean academics who
>still feel the cultural cringe?
>In this framework, cultural studies itself is a product of a 'Western
>academic world'. (Untrue, to a point.) And in
>this world, Australia is still the
>little brother of the giants, trying hard to
>make itself relevant and carve out
>a niche of Australian-ness so it can distinguish itself, market itself?

No, not really, I am only speaking from the
experiences that I myself have had, and I use the
Western world as a way of indicating a set of
geographies, that is all. This was clearly
indicated in my post and the assumptions you are
making about me or anyone else feeling a cultural
cringe are purely that, your assumptions, which
stand rejected. Again for your information, I
wrote having spent some time living and working
in Holland, which is not Australia, and it seems
that distinguishing the places is one way of
characterising different forms of practice which
are or can be tied to the nature of culture
within those places.

>  But this whole discussion has a really wrong note of
>  Anglocentric nationalism, which
>seems to be unaware that much of the most exciting
>work happening on this continent might not even consider a 'Western academic
>world' as the space in which it circulates. The
>work I'm thinking of has little
>respect for
>those invisible geographical lines attaching Australia to the UK, the US, or
>Europe. It works from a different map.

I do not speak of how cultural studies is
practiced in India, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Spain or
Portugal, or South Africa, because I have no
experience of working in those places. If you
wish to articulate your experiences of the places
where you have worked, then do so. I promise I
will not regard it as diminishing of the places
you speak about.

cheers

John Grech
--

*****************
John Grech

On-line Projects:
Interempty Space : The Global City <http://www.jgrech.dds.nl>

Sharkfeed
<http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/25402/20020806/www.abc.net.au/sharkfeed/index.htm>

On-line Writing:
"Beyond the Binary: New Media and the Extended Body"
Mediatopia on-line exhibition and symposium
http://www.mediatopia.net/grech.html

"Empty Space and the City: The Reoccupation of Berlin"
Radical History Review
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/radical_history_review/v083/83.1grech.html