[csaa-forum] Cultural studies in Australia

Warwick Mules w.mules at cqu.edu.au
Tue Aug 30 09:21:44 CST 2005

And so the struggle goes on.

During the 1980s there was no such thing as cultural studies in
Australia, or anywhere else as far as I know. In the Department of
English where I studied and worked (UQ), there was literature and
then there was something called media studies associated with
rhetoric and linguistics. The really big change occurred in this set
up when something called poststructuralism arrived in the mid 1980s
(poststructuralism = concerned with the 'excess' in structure). What
poststructuralism was able to do was to break down the cosy idea of
literary texts as closed formal unities or expressions of genius, and
instead allow them to be submitted to a kind of rigorous reading of
their textuality as potentially open. This then allowed a certain
kind of literary reading strategy to be applied not only to canonical
literary texts, but to any form of writing, or to any object or event
which could be seen as a kind of writing, within open fields. The aim
here was to release textuality from its subordination to the 'voice'
of authority, and to make it work against the grain, in terms of a
politicised reading practice of resistance that challenged centred
ways of thinking and representation, as self-evident or natural ways
of going about doing things, and of feeling and of perceiving objects.

Underlying this poststructuralist project was a challenge to views of
society as a collection of free individuals with their own modes of
expression, or an aggregate of discrete objects and events with their
on internal meanings and structures. Poststructuralist reading
strategies were able to draw on earlier Marxist ideas of the
conflictual structuring of society, and to develop more localised
practices of political engagement with specific sites, texts and
events, seeking ways to release forces for a future that as yet
cannot be known.

This rather incomplete sketch indicates some of the issues that I
think are with us today. I see no reason to abandon the critical
engagement with the social order and with the forms of representation
that determine what means what, and who is able to do what to whom.
Indeed, if anything, the need for critical engagement with strategies
like poststructuralism, with its concern for opening things out, and
with critical resistive forms of 'reading', is more pressing now that
it ever was. The rise of neo-conservativism in the US and now
Australia, has led to a resurgence in essentialist ways of thinking
and experiencing the world. A resurgence in fundamentalist religion,
economic materialism, racism and perhaps most concerning of all,
newer and ever-increasing forms of surveillance, makes it imperative
that humanities continues its project of critical engagement with the
world, and with developing projects and pedagogies that help us all
think through the forces at work, and how they might be challenged,
resisted, or redeployed.

Warwick

Warwick Mules
Humanities
Central Queensland University

>I agree with most of what has been said in response to Simon. The
>major problem for me is his automatic conjunction of
>'abstract/philosophical' and 'political'. There are many cases where
>these look to me more like opposites.
>
>But it seems to me that Simon does perform a service in asking what
>has become of a certain early 1990s formation of Australian cultural
>studies. There was an intensity there which would lead one to expect
>an ongoing 'project'. I think most who were involved in it hoped and
>believed that this is what it would be. But in fact, by the end of
>the 1990s, there was a considerable fragmentation and dissipation of
>the energies of that moment. It is easy to explain things away
>through contingent factors -- people got opportunities overseas etc.
>-- but I'm not sure that accounts cumulatively for the phenomenon.
>Why didn't it hold together better?
>
>There are obvious ways, of course, of seeing this as a microcosm of
>a wider shift in Oz cultural politics. For that reason alone, it
>should be of interest.
>
>I love Mel's line about the difficult of speaking of the present and
>the future 'when we are constantly forced to mime in the shadows
>cast by senior colleagues'. But I think some reckoning with the past
>may actually be important to us ECRs (glad to be able to say I am
>still just one). Perhaps this is a rather 'Murdoch' perspective, but
>as one who has struggled up in the institution which perhaps most
>closely followed the 'boom-dissipation' pattern, I have usually been
>less worried by having to find a place amongst a battle of the
>titans than by the vacuum following their departure. The succession
>thing is something the exec of the CSAA also discussed a number of
>times when Alan McKee was president. It was very noticeable for a
>period that many senior figures had disengaged from the scene.
>
>A bit of turnover and renewal is, of course, a good thing. The loss
>or withdrawal of one leaves spaces for others. But some patterns of
>renewal are better than others. I'm reminded of some cricket
>commentators the other night talking about what happened to the West
>Indies (worrying that something similar might happen to Australia).
>It's all very well having (or being) fresh new talent, but it can be
>a difficult and disheartening road for them if they don't find
>themselves in healthy ecology of mixed experiences and ages. I would
>personally like to hear a little more from the 1991 veterans, not
>less -- at least if not simply in self-justificatory mode.
>
>-- Mg
>
>>I'm glad we've got some much needed clarification from Graeme. I've
>>been reading this thread with some bemusement. I'd thought we got
>>well beyond the monoliths of Politics and Theory. I'm also
>>wondering at what and who gets called Australian and the
>>construction of memory around that conf at Nepean where the CSAA
>>got formed, and which was in fact my first visit to Australia. More
> [...]

Dr. Warwick Mules, Editor Transformations, http://transformations.cqu.edu.au

Cultural Studies,
Humanities, Central Queensland University
Bundaberg Campus,				email: w.mules at cqu.edu.au
Locked Bag 3333 DC				phone: 0741 507142
Bundaberg, Queensland			mobile: 04122 92541
Australia  4670				fax:   0741 507080