[csaa-forum] Cultural studies in Australia

Professor Graeme Turner graeme.turner at uq.edu.au
Sun Aug 28 14:21:13 CST 2005

I wasn't planning to get involved in this; I regard Simon's dismissive
comment about Australian cultural studies as a polemical move, really,
more to do with positioning than analysis. For what it's worth, it is
not an entirely new account and I have never accepted it as completely
convincing -- even during the mid-1990s, which is when it was first
articulated and when there was more reason to assent to it than now.

But, reading Simon's own post has dragged me in. I am afraid I can't
let this personal comment go without responding:

'neither of them [Hartley and Turner] (I think they'd agree)are
involved in the more theoretical...critical, politically engaged
strands of the rield'.

Que? Makes me wonder, just what I have been doing lately? For the
record, (and I'm sure John Hartley can answer for himself) I most
emphatically (perhaps even indignantly) do not agree. Indeed, I think
the last four or five years have been among my most critically and
politically engaged. Maybe because much of that engagement has been
face to face with politicians, bureaucrats etc -- in addition to the
normal academic channels--it doesn't count. Maybe Simon just hasn't
read any of my published work in recent years; personally
disappointing, but not necessarily surprising. Whatever the reason,
this characterisation of my activities in our field is simply wrong.
Graeme Turner