[csaa-forum] Conformist and lacking critical force

Terry Flew t.flew at qut.edu.au
Fri Aug 26 15:59:18 CST 2005

Dear Mel, Jean, Josh and CSAA'ers

Another place which people may wish to go on the issues below is the
special issue of Continuum (18:2, June 2004) edited by Mark Gibson and
myself on cultural studies and the 'new humanism'. The dialogue between
James Donald and myself in that issue, as well as Mark's introduction, may
provide an interesting counterpoint to the quote you provide below. It may
also be suffused with the perspective of the 'old tertiary technical
training departments' that Simon During comments on in your earlier email.
Anyway, very interested in the discussion.

http://journalsonline.tandf.co.uk/app/home/issue.asp?wasp=8ff3c39f1c00484ebedb909dc0709b2f&referrer=parent&backto=journal,5,19;linkingpublicationresults,1:104563,1

Cheers
Terry

At 02:03 PM 26/08/2005, you wrote:
>In the lead up to our first meeting at QUT's Creative Industries Precinct
>on Friday September 9, the Brisbane-based Monthly Media and Cultural
>Studies (MACS) network
>(<http://cccs.uq.edu.au/index.html?page=22640&pid=21774>) would like to
>invite debate and feedback on the current state of Australian cultural
>studies and particularly how the Creative Industries paradigm fits within
>this discussion. As younger researchers inheriting these debates we are
>keen to discuss issues such as:
>
>- disciplinarity: what it means (practically, ethically, conceptually) to
>do “media and cultural studies” within the CI paradigm
>- opportunities for and the politics of academic labour for RHD students
>and Early Career Researchers in the context of the shift from
>individualistic “humanities” research to project/team-based approaches
>- the changing research culture of Australian universities, especially the
>perceived incommensurability between "pragmatic" and "critical" approaches
>as evidenced in the following quotation:
>
>"Nowadays Australian cultural studies is increasingly normalised,
>concentrating on cultural policy studies and, often uncritically, on
>popular culture and the media. Indeed it is in Australia that the
>celebration of popular culture as a liberating force
 first took off