[csaa-forum] postgrad labour

Jane Armstrong J.N.Armstrong at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Fri Jul 15 16:00:36 CST 2005

Dear Greg

Great to see someone addressing this issue.

At my Uni over the past 5 years, sessional conditions have deteriorated through the following decsions:

a) reducing the teaching semester to 12 weeks effectively reducing sessional pay by 2 weeks without reducing class sizes and marking. In my experience, one of the consequences of this decision is an increase in the number of students seeking out of class support with assignments (also not accounted for in sessional conditions and pay).

b) Increasing reliance on sessionals to coordinate courses in some cases without extra pay.

c) A new decision that class sizes should be a minimum of 25 (possible increased marking without additional pay)

d) The lack of job opportunities for post-grad students make the building of a teaching profile (and the completion of the PhD) a labour of love not a professional development.

It seems to me that undergraduates and sessionals are bearing the brunt of recent 'reforms' to the university sector and the university hierarchies are in denial about this.

Of course, I suppose this should come as no surprise to cs students and practitioners - after all, cs exists within an ISA :)

I will answer your specific questions in an email directly addressed to you - but you inspired me to have public rant first ( how scary)

Jane Armstrong