[csaa-forum] The Event, Culture and Contingency.

Michael Dieter mdieter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:19:25 CST 2005

THE EVENT, CULTURE AND CONTINGENCY

An Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Symposium

Friday 1 July, 2005

Graduate Centre, University of Melbourne

"The Event, Culture and Contingency" is a one-day symposium organised
by the editors of antiTHESIS and postgraduates in the Department of
English with Cultural Studies at the University of Melbourne.

The Symposium will bring together postgraduate scholars and creative
writers from across Australia and overseas for a day of
interdisciplinary debate and academic exchange.

"Truth happens to an idea.  It becomes true, is made true by events.
Its verity is in fact an event, a process: the process namely of its
verifying itself, its veri-fication." William James

Integral to understanding changes in both ourselves and our world,
'the event' is a concept attracting increased critical attention.
Described as "a difference that makes a difference", events "[m]ay
happen, or be manufactured, affect us and be effected by us", and thus
emerges from the impossible cusp between contingency and necessity.
We invite papers that consider both what constitutes 'an event', and
how different events have been, are, and might possibly be,
constituted and reconstituted.

Keynote address by Ghassan Hage.

All Welcome.

http://www.english.unimelb.edu.au/antithesis