[csaa-forum] tone

Sally Scott Sally.Scott at curtin.edu.au
Mon Apr 4 12:25:18 CST 2005

I found the email to Elspeth absolutely appalling and not deserving of a
reply, funny or otherwise.

It is critical that the humanities, and cultural studies in particular, are
seen and known to be capable of critical and intelligent debate. Personal
attacks are OK - over a keg of beer at the pub with friends and 'lashings'
of humour.

I understand the frustration people feel at the rise of neo-con ideologies
in our public forums, but ad hominum attacks only provide ammunition. With
the humanities under sustained attack because number-crunchers do not
understand how we function, it is imperative that we educate in an
intelligent and restrained way. That's not to say we have to be boring - but
we do have to be politically aware.

Sally