[csaa-forum] But wait, there's more

Ben Hourigan mail at benhourigan.com
Tue Mar 1 13:32:50 CST 2005

Another response to Tim Langley:

> however, in agreement with catherine, responses must
> be (in this public sphere) measured and unemotional,
> refrained from personal attacks, ad hominem logic and
> academic language,

Agreed.

> these critics’ logic is combative, aggressive or
> ‘hawkish’; they despise (as they have said in relation
> to anti-war protesters) ‘weakness’.

If you mean this as a criticism, you've just engaged in an ad hominem
(to the man)attack. Address their arguments, not the style in which
they are presented, unless you're going to argue that the style
invalidates their logic.

> the conservative government wants to privatize the public broadcasters
> (a proposition a number of howard ministers and
> rightwing jocks have suggested),

Let me register my support for this proposal. I love the ABC, and SBS,
but it's not right to coerce people into having their earnings taken
away (i.e. taxation), and then spend it on luxuries, however much you
or I may appreciate them. Does support for privatisation make one right
wing? If a commitment to economic freedom (this includes maximum
freedom from taxation) makes one right-wing, and a commitment to
government control of economic activity makes one left-wing, then
you're correct. However, it's not as simple as that. Isn't that what
you were arguing in a previous post? I get the impression that you
refer to whoever it is as "rightwing jocks" (another ad hominem attack)
because of their social values as well as their beliefs about how the
economy should best be managed.

> these attacks will never end

They may one day, if the left-right dichotomy (and with it, the typical
attitudes each side holds towards the 'New Humanities') ceases to
dominate our thinking about politics, and is replaced by some new
scheme of classification. But then we will have new, different-looking
debates.

> , and neither should our

Again, agreed. Just keep the ad hominem arguments to a minimum.