[csaa-forum] But wait, there's more

Catharine Lumby catharine.lumby at arts.usyd.edu.au
Mon Feb 28 19:01:07 CST 2005

Thanks for the suggestions on the Bolt- sporting personality analogy. I
think Jane is totally on the money about Sam Newman. I was thinking
Lleyton because Bolt runs on hostility and, from where I sit at least,
he seems to be obsessed with making strange insulting gestures to
invisible enemies.

I figure there's got to be a way to respond to the mindbending hostility
that comes off the neocon agenda without buying into it. Making silly
comparisons is my form of distraction at the moment.

But to get serious about it - it is incredibly depressing to have the
work we all do - academic or applied - misrepresented so publicly. I see
this happening to people in the humanities all the time. The problem
isnt that someone is  disagreeing - it's that far too much commentary is
animated by bad faith, professional jealousy or plain ideological
warfare. Hence my pro athlete analogy - it's as if the whole thing is a
game. But then that shows exactly how much I *really* know about footy -
diddly squat obviously!!