[csaa-forum] no (conciliatory) capitulation

Ben Hourigan mail at benhourigan.com
Mon Feb 28 11:35:18 CST 2005

On 28 Feb 2005, at 10:52, langley timmy wrote:

> just a very quick response to Ben Hourigan:
>
> 1.these critics dislike all disciplines ending in
> 'studies', not because of any (totalitarian) marxist
> positions or methodologies (as mini melleuish's
> latest attack demonstrates) but because these 'new'
> discipline question (unsettle/challenge) universal
> (male/anglo-celtic/christian/european) assumptions
> that underline these critics subjectivities and
> cultural positions.

Surely our entire discipline (and all the other " 'new' " disciplines
you refer to) cannot be reduced to this, which is simply one kind of
politics? What about the merging of sociological and anthropological
research methodologies with the methods of textual analysis we take
from literary studies and semiotics? What about our willingness to
study popular culture and the practices in which it is implicated?

I can't see why Melleuish et al. should absolutely be opposed to these
things. If Melleuish loves Thucydides so much, why couldn't he be
interested in research that, for instance, traced the presence (if any)
of Thucydides in pop-cultural texts, and evaluated its relevance to
present-day media consumers by conducting surveys? If that didn't work
out, how about some studies of the contemporary revival of the epic
classical-history film? I did a great subject when I was an undergrad
at Melbourne, called "Medievalism in Contemporary Culture," which was
very much in this vein (though with an emphasis on Mallory rather than
Thucyidides). True, I'm not going to do that kind of research, and
probably neither are you. Maybe Melleuish could do it himself? Or maybe
it's already out there, but he hasn't bothered to look for it (and nor
have I).

> they feel their naturally acquired
> positions of power are under threat, and will use any
> attack method necessary.
> 2.there can be no 'conciliatory gestures' towards
> these critics unless these disciplines stop
> questioning these assumptions.
> these vastly
> heterogeneous discipline

There's no reason that *every single piece of cultural studies
research* needs to 'question' "(male/anglo-celtic/christian/european)
assumptions." If that was all CS ever did, it would be insufferably
homogenous and boring. That disciplines are internally diverse is
precisely what might enable Melluish and co. to see that they don't
have to hate CS per se. They might be able to find some uses for its
knowledges and methodologies themselves, and even to contribute to the
discipline by approaching it from their own political perspective,
which they evidently see as being opposed to the position of most CS
researchers. Bring on revisionist CS! Are you ready?

>  need to, in the eyes of their
> critics, return to (unpolitical) readings of the
> canon, and nothing else.

If there's one thing I imagine this entire list would agree on, it's
that our critics' readings of the canon (and of our work) are *not*
unpolitical. They are socially and politically conservative. They would
likely prefer that ours were, too. That's their prerogative.

> 3.i'm surprised ben found it necessary to email keith
> windschuttle to find references on writing against
> marxist cultural theory (if one were requesting
> references to his own work, that's different). a
> simple search on any database or subject catalogue, or
> a question to a supervisor, would be efficiently
> appropriate.

Supervisors are not omniscient, and even the most well-crafted Boolean
search doesn't have the same capacity to sort information as a human
mind implicated in networks of interpersonal relationships. Sometimes
it's nice to ask people for help or advice, just to see what you come
up with. And why not go straight to one of the most infamous characters
on Australia's intellectual scene?