[csaa-forum] Re: but wait, it just keeps going on and on

Ben Hourigan mail at benhourigan.com
Sun Feb 27 13:01:01 CST 2005

Why do these arguments assume that everyone working in Cultural Studies
is, or should be, on "the left"?

I, for one, would not consider myself to be a leftist, even if I
thought that the left/right dichotomy was a useful way of
characterising political ideologies (see Wikipedia's article on the
Nolan Chart at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Chart for my favoured
alternative).

Nor do I think that allying an entire discipline (i.e., Cultural
Studies), to one political ideology or another is a useful or
particularly professional thing to do.

Anti-cultural-studies commentators appear to be social conservatives,
in the main. Their attacks on Cultural Studies often seem to
misunderstand what we do, but it is not necessarily our work and its
methodologies that drives them to attack. Rather, it is that we wave,
like a red rag (pun accidental) to a bull, that Cultural Studies is a
'leftist' discipline. Obviously, then, journalists who think of
themselves as being on 'the right' are going to think that Cultural
Studies is something they ought to write against.

Ben Hourigan, B.A. (Hons) (Melb.)
http://benhourigan.com