[csaa-forum] Re: terry flew on CS

gary hall gary.hall at connectfree.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 20:23:15 CST 2005

Thanks, Mark. That's helpful.

Yes, what your describe as the ridiculing of cultural studies, even from
its own margins, is intriguing. As well as the answers you provide, I
wonder if it also hasn't got something to do with the kind of 'moralism
as anti-politics' Wendy Brown writes about in Politics Out of History
(and which nevertheless often thinks that it's very political, be that
of the Right, Centre or Left variety). Although it would take too long
to trace out an analysis here, that would seem to offer one point of
connection between the reactions of Andrew Bolt, Terry Flew's really
very helpful questions regarding the Left politics of cultural studies,
Ned and Geert's interesting and provocative responses, and your idea
that what people in cultural studies do and what politicians do might be
different things.

It's also interesting that so many people are (still) bothered enough by
cultural studies for one reason or another to react to it so strongly.

Gary