[csaa-forum] Re: terry flew on CS

Mark Gibson M.Gibson at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jan 10 23:52:46 CST 2005

Good response, Gary. It interests me that cultural studies seems so
often to be made an object of ridicule -- just 'media hype' .... etc.
To get to the bottom of it, I think we need to look past the Andrew
Bolts and Keith Windschuttles and recognise that the tendency can
even be found among those who wear the CS label (or, like Geert, to
participate in CS discussion lists). Internal criticism of CS has
often been coruscating, implying some fundamental error, wrong turn
or egregious error. One of the most characteristic positions in
relation to CS is a kind of ironic detachment -- 'we wouldn't want to
associate ourselves fully with this field, but it can be interesting
or amusing to hang on the edges, listen in, throw in provocations
from time to time'. (It sometimes seems to me that everyone is doing
this. ie. no-one is actually in the middle.)

Why is CS so prone to this? I don't see a similar tendency in say,
anthropology, philosophy or media studies. The best answer I have is
that the space it has sought to occupy -- somewhere between serious
scholarship, the media, popular culture and mass education -- makes
it inherently controversial. I'm often reminded in thinking about
this, of Joshua Meyrowitz's argument about television -- that in its
lack of respect for traditional boundaries, it ends up mildly
offending everyone. Isn't our view of CS often rather like the common
ironic detachment before TV?

All that said, I think Geert is right in pointing out the strong
'Anglo' character of CS. Almost all the examples Gary cites of CS
outside the US, UK and Australia are, when you look at them,
offshoots of 'Anglo' formations: Kuan-Hsing Chen was a student of
Larry Grossberg, who himself spent time at Birmingham; Koichi
Iwabuchi did his PhD in Australia; Meaghan Morris is an Australian
living in HK ... etc.

The only problem is that pinning 'Anglo' on the field brings us back
to the ridicule. We all know, don't we, that there are no serious
Anglo intellectual traditions? Surely anything that is said in CS,
then, has probably been said before, and better, by a German
philosopher or French theorist. This, it seems to me, is where the
'media hype' analysis comes from. CS is flaky, derivative, second
rate ...

This is why, for me, it is worth going back to the early 'Anglo'
roots of CS -- not just in the UK, but also Australia and the US. If
you do, I think you begin to recognise that there is something
distinctive there -- and something worth holding on to. You could
call it empiricism if that term was not also, often, a term of abuse.
Better to call it a tradition of close observation. There's a preface
by Jean-Claude Passeron (one of Bourdieu's closest collaborators) in
the French edition of Richard Hoggart's The Uses of Literacy, which
makes the point nicely:

The discussion of the realities of class is certainly to the credit
of numerous fractions of the French intellectual milieu, but it is
not altogether wrong to suppose that its theoretical and abstract
tone serves also to keep at bay a whole set of realities at once
simple and scandalous - or worse than scandalous, vulgar. The whole
empirical force of these realities is evident when a description at
once ethnographic and autobiographical such as Richard Hoggart's
brings them into focus directly, above literary artifice and
scholarly exercises.

In my view, one of the things that CS has been good at -- and still
is -- is honest description of 'ordinary' realities. I'm prepared to
be proven wrong, but I don't know of anyone doing this earlier or
better.

To circle back to Terry's original provocation on the 'leftness' of
CS, it seems to me part of the anxiety about this is a simple
misrecognition of who we are and what we do. Terry asks, in his last
post, whether CS people would do any better than the Labor party in
liberating us from Howard. His implicit answer, I think, and probably
right, is 'no'. But should we get too worried by that? CS is not a
political party -- or even, I would say, a political movement. It's a
tradition of cultural analysis and criticism. We should value it for
the quality of its engagement with 'stuff', not dwell on its failure
to do things it is not constituted to do.

-- Mg