[csaa-forum] Cultural studies and left politics: the state of play

Jason Jacobs j.jacobs at griffith.edu.au
Fri Jan 7 11:16:21 CST 2005

Dear Terry et al,

Just to correct - or really nuance one point in Terry's last post. While
the cultural studies crew in the UK certainly did take Thatcherism
seriously they actually mystified rather than clarified its popular
appeal. First was Stuart Hall's nonsensical idea that Thatcher and her
crowd appealed to a sensibility of popular authoritarianism, that somehow
- using some strange mystical power - the masses were basically hypnotised
by a market-driven law n' order agenda. (Note that Thatcher and her
cronies never dared go as far as the current New Labour in its
authoritarianism.) This was simply wrong - Thatcher won three terms
because the opposition was so weak and clearly the mass of people would
have been worse off under its policies. Voters realised this and voted for
the lesser of two evils. The Labour party in the 80s refused to swallow
this and blamed everyone else, especially the media, for their own
failures.
Secondly, Marxism Today launched its equally nonsensical 'post-Fordist'
ideology (Jacques, Hall, Hebdige et al) which was really an apologetic
acceptance of the market and Thatcher's 'there is no alternative.' Forget
the fact that only a minority of Western manufacturing was ever 'Fordist'
or that the emerging Asian economies - funded by Western investment - were
using precisely the manufacturing techniques that the MT crew were saying
were obsolete - what was revealed was the isolation of the left,
projecting their own small worlds onto the real one. The success of New
Labour depended on its major players having successfully internalised the
failure of the left over the past 30 years and turning to so-called
'managerial' small-scale (read politically empty) approaches to society
and its problems. Even so the Blair 'landslide' of 1997 disguised the fact
that Blair did not win as many votes as the grey John Major in 1992. With
no vision for the future its leaders increasingly turned to the
international stage in order to project their moral authority. Note that
yesterday both Blair and chancellor Brown talked about Africa and solving
its problems. Well the West has been meddling in Africa for 200 years and
I think it's time the African nations did without the moral wand of Europe
or America.

I guess my point is that the post-war left - in its many national and
international inflections - has been characterised by a marked inability
to see its own shortcomings. Inspiring the electorate with new ideas for a
better society (hang on, I'm just fetching my kum-by-ah guitar) would be a
start. But that seems to have been left in the too hard basket for now.

Jason

(who's getting lunch for  three kids and not in his office at all)

Dr Jason Jacobs
Senior Lecturer
School of Arts, Media and Culture
Griffith University