[csaa-forum] Is cultural studies inherently left-wing?

Ned Rossiter n.rossiter at ulster.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 00:43:14 CST 2005

as much as I admire the clarity in these posts - why bother to defend
one's discipline/field in these terms?  they are a waste of time.  such
a defense is only responsive to the sludge of mediocre popular
intellectualism. talk about insecurity.

reflexivity can be useful, i think, but only when it pushes limits,
asks new questions, and wonders how conditions of possibility might be
otherwise (ie, invents new formations).  None of this is happening.
All these posts do is affirm a status quo.  Even in MG's case. His
'prehistory' of CS functions to reiterate CS's current state of
professionalisation, and its need for (counter) myths of origin.  This
is fine, in its way, but CS shouldn't pretend to be anything else (eg,
some kind of wild, experimental, radical engagement with the
fluctuations of life).  Those days are well and truly over.  Which is
why I find myself happy to vacate CS.

as for 'mass observation' -- never heard of it.  Sounds something like
a precursor to Lazarsfeld's administrative research. proto
mass-marketing/advertising stuff, mixed in with a bit of
crowd-psychology mumbo-jumbo.

Having said that, I'll probably set Terry's post as a reading in
subject I'll teach soon (if that's ok!).  And I'm certainly interested
to hear more about mass observation.

Let's set agendas and create work that has a consequence.  Such a
labour of structural transformation is a collaborative endeavor, to be
sure.

Ned