[csaa-forum] Ring wing academic attacks humanities.

Warwick Mules w.mules at cqu.edu.au
Tue Dec 21 09:23:01 CST 2004

Yes, but Melleuish has 'misdiagnosed' the problem. He argues that the lack of critical thought in the humanities is due to an entrenched left wing intellegentsia imposing a certain kind of conformism on cirrucula. He's made these kinds of claims many times in the past.

However, the real threat to critical and open debate and discussion in humanities comes from the kind re-orientation that the current Australian government is imposing on universities, towards brute dollar value thinking and the shift from the formation of students as subjects to be educated, to clients or customers to be serviced.

The result is a slow strangulation of critical thinking and debate in all of the humanities, as the bottom line becomes one based on numbers and outputs, rather than the achievement of scholarly aims. In this environment, critique is not actually dispensed with; rather it is encouraged, but only insofar as it can be 'managed'  to meet 'quality' aims. What we end up with is a slide into ersatz education in the humanities where the pretence of critical engagement takes place; where postgrad research is dominated by quick turn around of students and a resultant lowering of standards and expectations, and team activities based on the writing of research grant applications; and where undergraduate education is designed to ensure failure rates are minimised, as opposed to ensuring everyone has an opportunity to rise to the challenge of a given idea, set of issues or textual and rhetorical complexity.

All of this of course is a direct result of the corporatisation of universities to bring them into line with other publicly funded institutions in western democracies governed by the new imperatives of global capital, and the deregulation of the state.

Unlike Melluish, whose short sighted arguments are centred around his personal need to adopt a high moral tone in the  the 'history wars' debate, I suggest we need a broader, more globally engaged understanding of the problems facing critical thinking and debate in the humanities, as a problem that is systemically, discursively and ideologically factored into the way humanities is conducted in the contemporary university context.

If the shift into educational consumerism is irreversible, then there is no point in harking  back to a golden era, when critical debate and thinking flourished, as an answer to the problem. Rather, what we need to do is to engage with the shift into consumer education, to 'go with it' while submitting it to rigorous critical reflection at the same time, as a symptom of a broader transformation in economic, social, communicative, technolgical and cultural factors along a number of lines.

I argue that we need to re-invoke Enlightenment values in the spirit of a post-rational (not anti-rational), and post-humanistic (not anti-humanistic) appraisal and critique of the contemporary world, and this needs to be part of all the things we do in the humanities and its associated disciplines.

Chs

Warwick Mules

Humanities
CQU