[csaa-forum] Bolt and the Ideologues

stephen crofts crofts5 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 21:07:36 CST 2004

Bolt and the Ideologues

I strongly agree with Christian McCrea about the importance of challenging
Andrew Bolt, about his specious logic, and that we do best not to just
demonise him.  For that is to play his anti-intellectual game.  He certainly
appears to get up lots of leftish noses; and he doubtless greatly enjoys
doing so.  It has to be said, too, that setting him up as Bad Object to make
Cultural Studies sound Good seems to me a dubious political strategy.  I’d
like to raise some issues about Bolt’s article, some strategic, some
analytical.

What are the best strategies for critique?  I gather that a response from
the Australian Academy of the Humanities is forthcoming.  (Stop Press!
Graeme Turner’s rejoinder to Bolt in today’s Australian is an exemplary
intervention.)  Does the CSAA wish to produce a response?  Big reading
publics can be reached through the channels of op-ed pieces, Letters to the
Editor, etc.  In the meantime, here are some questions that might be posed
of Bolt.  One line of questioning concerns the tax dollars.

**Alongside ARC Humanities grants, would Bolt care to criticise other
Government expenditures of our taxes?  Before Parliament broke for
Christmas, massive Coalition pork-barrelling in rural constituencies during
the election campaign was plain for almost everyone to see.  More routinely,
what of the millions spent on bailing out failed companies?  What of
politicians’ perks?

**And what of executive salaries in the corporate sector?  (Pollies’ perks,
when raised in the media, are regularly a diversion from the real outrages
of private sector perks.)  Ziggy Telstra will doubtless shortly be handed
one of those risibly-named “golden parachutes” that will probably be greater
than any individual ARC grant awarded this year.  And he will be receiving
it for being a proven failure.  All Bolt can object to with the
accountability of ARC grants is that they might fail.

**(Much as ad hominem questions are usually dodgy politics:)  How much is
Bolt paid?  Who funds his research?

A second line of questions is what the ARC money is spent on.  The ARC may
wish to deal with this more fully than I can; having had two ARC grants in
the past, I’m no longer really in the loop.  But one question might be:

**What of Australia’s international competitors in university research?
(Thanks to Jason Jacobs for reminding us of the importance of knowledge for
knowledge’s sake.)  If the Australian tertiary sector is to deliver on its
claims to be world-class, how can it discount research into such
knowledge-for-knowledge’s-sake projects as those derided by Bolt, projects
such as are common in universities in the USA, Europe and Japan?  As a
strenuous apologist for the invasion of Iraq, Bolt seems to admire the USA.
Or is it only their foreign policy that he so admires?

It may be worth recalling that there’s a dismal history behind Bolt’s
ascendancy.  He’s just one of many right-wing ideologues given their head
since John Howard came to power in 1996 - like Piers Akerman, Stan Zemanek,
Alan Jones, Paul Sheehan, Janet Albrechtsen, Christopher Pearson, many of
these in the Murdoch press – and some, such as Paul Kelly – who have become
more consistently right-wing since then.  Bolt might be just the most
egregious of them, and probably the one most disposed to inveigh against
matters cultural as well as political.  However, there do remain several
commentators from the left or thereabouts who still believe in the
principles of social democracy:  Adele Horin, Mike Carlton, Philip Adams,
that seriously good parliamentary historian, Alan Ramsey, and probably some
journalists at The Age whom I don’t know about.

Perhaps the most important concept in explaining the rise of Bolt and the
Ideologues is right-wing populism.  Ian Ward (Australian Journal of
Communication 29(1), 2002) valuably examined Howard’s preference for
talkback radio over press conferences.  Not only does he thus avoid many
curly questions; but he also poses as one of the ordinary folk.  This
populist gambit follows his exploitation of Hansonism to shift the consensus
to the populist right, about which I wrote in 1998 in the Queensland Review
(5(2)).  Pauline Hanson may be politically dead, but Hansonite populism has
been very skillfully co-opted by Howard.  And co-opted against the
left-liberal intelligentsia, amongst others.  Whereas Paul Keating sustained
an appeal to this elite as well as to the neo-liberal moneymakers, Howard
has undermined the former (attacks and pressure on the ABC and SBS, on
ATSIC, on universities, etc) using populist arguments of the kind deployed
by Hanson, Bolt and the Ideologues.  Whereas left-wing populism attacked the
causes of discontent – the inequities of capitalism – the fall of the Berlin
Wall/end of Communism and the rise of the Washington neo-cons has so
naturalised capitalism and its inequities that populism of the right doesn’t
even feel the need to address causes at all (remember Francis Fukuyama’s
absurd teleology of “the end of history”?).  And those inequities, both
within and between nation-states, are in fact deepening in this neo-liberal
phase of capitalism.

What I would see as a necessary political-economic analysis has been usurped
by a cultural politics of blame, picked up by Hansonism, then developed by
Howard and the Ideologues.  The logic goes something like this:  “We’ve just
lost our jobs/local bank/childcare centre, and if it’s the fault of the
system, we can’t really understand that - and anyway that’s what those
chardonnay-drinking elites go on about; we just feel threatened and
insecure, with not knowing how to pay the rent/mortgage if Mitsubishi/the
local meat processing factory go belly up, or how to pay for the kids’
education, and with all these terrorist threats too; some people are doing
all right, and it sure isn’t us; and the TV and the radio report all this
money spent on Aborigines/immigrants/university research on politically
correct stuff; so why do they get money, and we don’t even have a bank or a
dentist closer than fifty miles from here”?  The crucial shift from trying
to understand political-economic causes to a cultural politics of
scapegoating opens a baleful revolving door of moral panics in the media (my
preferred name for the Brisbane Sunday Mail, which printed Bolt on the ARC
projects a week after the Sydney Sun-Herald, is The Queensland Weekly of
Moral Panics).  Howard and the Ideologues have indeed progressively
constricted the space for dissenting voices. Those most likely to articulate
a critique of the causes - the left edges of the fast-dwindling union
movement, and of the “chardonnay/latte/inner-city elite” - are central
targets of this populism bereft of any real-world logic beyond the
maintenance of plutocratic elites.

Scapegoating’s displacement in electoral awareness of efforts to understand
causality is splendidly summed up by Malcolm Knox in Saturday’s Sydney
Morning Herald, where he reviews Thomas Franck’s What’s the Matter with
America?  Knox points to the parallels between the USA and Australia:  “The
story is the same:  workers, disillusioned by neglectful Democrat (or Labor)
governments, decide to vote on ‘moral values’ rather than economic
injustice.  So they are motivated by outrage at homosexuality, abortion,
moral relativism in schools – at the ‘liberal elites’ whom they see as their
enemy – and what they are getting with their vote is greater insecurity in
employment and faster flow of wealth towards their bosses.  Workers rush to
Bush and Howard like turkeys voting for Christmas.”

For anybody interested, a couple of additional readings on these matters
come to mind:  Philip Bell contributed a sharp commentary on populist TV in
his co-edited AmericaniZation and Australia (1998).  And apart from his
excellent essay on Howard in his 2004 edited collection, The Howard Years,
Robert Manne also wrote a fine piece for the Sydney Morning Herald last year
on the Ideologues’ slovenly argumentation, concentrating on Paul Sheehan.

Stephen Crofts,
Honorary Research Associate,
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies,
University of Queensland.