[csaa-forum] shutting the stable door

Dr Laurie DUGGAN l.duggan1 at uq.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 14:05:45 CST 2004

Gil's note and Graeme's piece in today's Australian are pretty much on the money. In fact todays HES is pretty weird seeing as how it prints an edited chapter from 'Us & Them' as well as Graeme's piece. All this from the major source of 'new class' political partisanship! I feel trapped at the moment, in the middle of 'Us & Them' and after reading David Carter's 'The Ideas Market' collection (good books). When I went to see a movie on the weekend ('Garden State': don't bother) I walked out feeling like a demographic. This was 'art house' as purveyed by Fox/Newscorp. A little bit, but not too kinky (just like me. Or not). I felt like some satellite hovering overhead was beaming messages at me to go and have a latte somewhere. And meanwhile, elsewhere, in another galaxy, Andrew Bolt and the crew were continuing their endless fight against 'political correctness'. Hegemony? What me worry!

Laurie