[csaa-forum] bolt, sticks and stones, and a proposal: how pathetic

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 15 07:22:07 CST 2004

>...with little of substance to disagree with you threaten each other with
>legal action. I'd like to hear what the substantive political objections
>are to Andrew Bolt's ideas, if that's not to much bother. Or maybe we
>should all chortle at how right-wing he is. Ho Ho Ho.

weighing in from *way* offshore -- so maybe there's simply some nuance of
the australian academy that i'm not privy to in the states -- but i'd say
that one of the obvious "substantive political objections" to be made to
bolt's rants and raves is that he's not actually following through on his
own agenda very well.

put simply, if the idea is to ferret out "exorbitant" expenditures of tax
dollars on "pointless" academic work that's presented in "arcane" and
"indecipherable" jargon, then he's pretty damned short-sighted to be taking
aim at the humanities.  presumably, after all, the hard sciences rake in
way more grant $$ than the humanities ever do (could the average physics
lab, for instance, stay in operation for more than a month on the combined
sum that bolt lists for all of elspeth probyn's grants?).  the hard
sciences are just as likely (if not more so) to be engaged in research that
seems trivial and/or unintelligible to the average layperson.  and the
average write-up of said research is certainly not going to be easier to
read (or even translate) to the average layperson than a bit of deleuzean
theory.

lest there be any confusion, i'm *not* suggesting that the nice folks who
run physics labs and engineering schools (and so on) deserve to be subject
to bolt's abuse either.  far from it.  the fact that he doesn't seem
concerned with their "wasteful expenditures," "trivial pursuits," and
"difficult prose," however, suggests that he's not really interested in
trimming the major "waste" out of academic research: he's engaged in a
political witch hunt.

fwiw, i suspect that sorta response is gonna play a lot better in the
papers than "we're admittedly elitists and the rest of you should be happy
with that."

cheers
gil