[csaa-forum] bolt, sticks and stones, and a proposal

Jason Jacobs j.jacobs at griffith.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 00:58:05 CST 2004

My point is that Andrew Bolt's nasty little attack on Elspeth and
academics is hardly original. This kind of anti-intellectual philistinism
clearly has a long history and not only in Australia. What I object to is
the name-calling personal attacks that really belong to the politics of
the playground. (In this respect I assume that Danny Butt was being ironic
with his suggestions, but it is difficult to tell). Academic work,
particularly in the humanities and related fields, needs to be defended
precisely when it is irrelevant, when we seek knowledge for its own sake.
I suspect that some members may smell elitism here, but Susan Nicholls is
quite right to say that it is an elite we're talking about. And it seems
to me that that many out there are fighting the good fight in the public
sphere (most obviously Elspeth and Catharine, but there are others).

Dr Jason Jacobs
Senior Lecturer
School of Arts, Media and Culture
Griffith University