[csaa-forum] the 'left leaning' Bolt

langley timmy timmylangley at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 09:53:21 CST 2004

dear Louise,
i am interested in where you read that andrew bolt
worked as an adviser for bob hawke. i have read a
number of interviews with bolt (by right wing think
tanks) and he has never said he has worked for hawke
or anything associated with the left (although he did
have an aboriginal friend when he was a schoolboy, and
his parents are dutch immigrants: so he can't be a
racist, and he knows what it's like to assimilate).
this lack of any left wing association in bolt's
interviews may not be surprising, at first, as it
could be seen as an embarrassment. however, as a
spectacle of right as you rightly point out, he would,
like all the other right wing media personae, use that
left wing past to support his position. for example,
keith windschuttle constantly proclaims he use to be a
communist until he 'grew up' (his words) and found the
truth (that white settlers in tasmania were victims of
murderous aborigines; aboriginal culure was
disfunctional and doomed to failure); the statistician
turned 'sceptical environmentalist' Bjorn Lomborg
constantly proclaims his greenie past until he found
the truth (or a market outside statistics).
the left wing past of these commentators is an
important element of their image.
could you please direct me to the reference to bolt's
left wing past, as bolt (and other press commentators
like him) is 'phenomena' i'm researching.
cheers tim