[csaa-forum] Writing Cultural Studies Papers, and more

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Sat Dec 11 07:14:01 CST 2004

Hi Jason

1) It's not a course, but a selection of resources from someone who is
*employed as a graduate adviser* at *New York University*, which would
suggest to me that their knowledge of good teaching is at least reasonable,
and probably better than mine.  Or are the 1200 people who pay tens of
thousands of dollars to pass through the Gallatin School of Individualized
study being left in the hands of a raving ideologue, as you suggest? You may
not like the material, and that's fine, but I'd suggest you get your ass
straight before you start trashing people's professionalism. Or more to the
point, show us your great teaching resources! We're *so* waiting for a good
cultural studies curriculum that upholds the values of Western Civilisation
and isn't dominated by feminist/Marxist claptrap, it sounds like you have
it. Please share with us your teaching practices so I don't need to keep
forwarding these misguided pieces of advice from the Internet.

2) If you want a debate about the merits of this work, at least you could
define a) the relevant professional standards that you base your value
judgements on, and b) the communities those standards operate in, rather
than sprouting eternal damnation . If you give rants like the below to your
students while telling them to read Frank Furedi, I've got serious concerns
about your commitment to education (vs. opinion).

Danny

ps- On a related point, Michael Bérubé's "Keeping Conservatives out of
Academe" is a good read this week:

http://tinyurl.com/3snf9