[csaa-forum] wants/needs

Jane Armstrong J.N.Armstrong at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Wed Dec 1 19:00:18 CST 2004

On 1/12/04 9:40 AM, "Alan McKee" <a.mckee at qut.edu.au> wrote:

Hello everybody,

Just been reading some writing on public broadcasting, and I'm fascinated
by the durability of the 'want/need' binary in critical thinking (as in
'commercial culture encourages people to buy things they think they want,
not what they really need'). I'm interested in what we currently think are
real needs, and what are merely wants, in twenty first century Australia.
If anyone has a few spare seconds, would you mind putting 'need' or 'want'
next to the ten items on this list, and emailing it to me at
a.mckee at qut.edu.au?

Love youse all

Alan McKee

washing machine - need
lipstick - want
children's toys - want
bathroom cleaning products - want
car - need
books - need
televisions - want
shaving products - don't want don't need
CDs - want
breakfast cereal - want

Alan McKee, PhD
Film and Television
Creative Industries Precinct
Queensland University of Technology
Kelvin Grove
QLD 4059
Australia

07 3864 8195 (fax)

csaa-forum
discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia

www.csaa.asn.au