[csaa-forum] Affect in cultural studies

Greg Noble g.noble at uws.edu.au
Sun Oct 31 12:57:11 CST 2004

Thanks for pointing out this work Anna - of course, my comments were
aimed at the field generally, not at any particular individual or
project - and certainly not your work. Indeed, I was originally going
to quote your critical comments about the poor use of affect in CS in
a short piece you wrote for Continuum a couple of years ago, as well
as Elsepth's comments.

I still believe CS uses affect poorly, despite the good work done by
you and others. And I think it is particularly needing more empirical
work. Grossberg's work seemed to me a case in point.

Re your brain project - sound great - but one project on the brain
does not a summer of studies make!

But of course my main intention was to provoke discussion on these
important issues - your response is important to this discussion. So,
thanks.

cheers
greg

greg

--
Dr Greg Noble

School of Humanities            	ph:     (02) 47 360 365
University of Western Sydney
C Bldg, Kingswood campus
Locked Bag 1797                    	email: g.noble at uws.edu.au
Penrith South DC
NSW 1797
Australia

Researcher, Centre for Cultural Research
Parramatta Campus, UWS

Co-author of Bin Laden in the Suburbs: Criminalising the Arab Other
(Sydney Institute of Criminology, 2004)