[csaa-forum] re: Magpie studies, etc

Liz Jacka liz.jacka at uts.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 08:44:54 CST 2004

Dear colleagues

I just have to join in here.  What all this misses is a new generation
of students (many at UTS) who don't identify themselves as "Cultural
Studies" and probably don't subscribe to this list , cos it it too
passe.  They effortlessly do publishing, poetry, new media,
"ficto-criticism" (awful word), and from within a very theoretically
informed perspective, but with the theory worn lightly and perhaps even
treated in a magpie fashion.  There's a huge world of that out there.
Some of it was present at a day on culture and creativity (another
over-worked word) that I organised at UTS in August. On that day one
very interesting mixed media person, Mitchell Whitelaw, talked about
creative micro-cultures.  This new terrain has not been mapped as a
whole, probably because it is too diverse and ever-changing.

Liz Jacka

On 27/10/2004, at 12:03 AM, Adrian Martin wrote:

> Thanks to everybody who has so far joined in this fascinating
> discussion of crossovers between cultural studies and other stuff. I
> am not trying to be overly nostalgic about 'the scene 20 years ago' -
> because often the life of a freelance writer, then as now, ain't a lot
> of fun - and I totally welcome responses like Felicity's indicating
> that new 'magpies' are rising up everywhere (but let's name names,
> please, don't keep them a secret!). That said, I too very much share
> the concerns articulated in some recent posts in this thread about how
> something does feel like it has changed since then and now. The
> significant date is surely around 1990, when Cultural Studies
> departments and courses start calling themselves such, and a certain
> territorial status-anxiety about establishing 'professionalisation'
> and 'institutionalisation' of the 'field' sets in. Hence all the
> histories/genealogies of Cultural Studies departments, journals,
> textbooks, conferences, etc. I do think an AWFUL lot of 'prehistory'
> gets devalued and actively ignored/suppressed the moment this happens.
> If I can be forgiven a moment of immodesty - since I am my own best
> example to hand! - I left university teaching in 1992 and became a
> weekly film reviewer in THE AGE by 1995, but in-between I wrote, for
> what it's worth, a book that I consider 100% 'Australian Cultural
> Studies' (PHANTASMS) - and yet I have never been asked to speak at any
> official cultural studies event or contribute to a certified academic
> journal in the field. And there are MANY people like me! I wonder how
> many students, these days, in the era of quick-to-hand Internet
> research, are pointed in the direction of '80s and '90s magazines like
> ART AND TEXT, TENSION, ON THE BEACH, FROGGER, STUFFING and so many
> others that once defined a certain kind of 'militant dilettante'
> activity in the yet-to-be-named area of Australian cultural studies.
> (You can't even get a decent book-anthology of this stuff!) It's only
> (to my knowledge) in the intro to the Frow-Morris AUSTRALIAN CULTURAL
> STUDIES anthology, and in the work of people like our own redoubtable
> Melissa G, that this kind of 'archive' gets unearthed and reactivated,
> and connected to similar signs of life that have happened here since.
> I am keen to hear more from everybody else on this topic ...
>
> Adrian
>

> _______________________________________
>
> csaa-forum
> discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia
>
> www.csaa.asn.au

Professor Liz Jacka
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
PO Box 123
NSW 2007
Australia
ph 61 2 9514 2311

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If