[csaa-forum] Trashy magpies

Terry Flew t.flew at qut.edu.au
Tue Oct 26 16:38:31 CST 2004

Jason

Granted that probably no-one can claim to be disinterested. But if the
sources I've accessed online are correct, this guy and his erstwhile
Marxist colleagues now openly tout for business with Monsanto and Pfizer,
and produced a documentary for Channel Four in Britain, titled 'Against
Nature', for which Channel Four had to apologise to the Independent
Television Commission for seriously distorting the statements of
environmental advocates interviewed for it. The site 'GM Watch' notes the
following related 'front' organizations:

Africa Direct - denying the genocide in Rwanda Association of British
Drivers - no to speed limits, yes to global warming and GM crops!
Audacity.org - no restraints on devolopment, no to sustainability Campaign
Against Militarism (CAM) - no to military intervention Families for Freedom
- risks to children are grossly exaggerated Feminists for Justice - no laws
on date rape Freedom & Law - no to state intervention Global Futures -
concerns about risk are greatly exaggerated Internet Freedom - no
restrictions on paedophilia, race hate etc. Irish Freedom Movement (IFM) -
no to the peace process Libero! - libertarian football supporters network!
The Litigious Society - no to a 'compensation culture' London International
Research Exchange (LIRE) - denying Serb nationalist atrocities Transport
Research Group - yes to big roads Workers Against Racism (WAR) - no to all
immigration controls WORLDwrite - anti-green gap years and school exchanges.

While I find the career of Frank Furedi and his friends kind of
interesting, I still think he's an odd choice for you to refer to in
relation to the point you are trying to make about not fetishising
'relevant' research.

Cheers
Terry

At 04:08 PM 26/10/2004 +1000, you wrote:

>If you can show me an example of disinterested scholarship I'll actually
>buy you a drink. All scholarship should have an interest, otherwise why
>would one bother to read it?
>

>Dr Jason Jacobs
>Senior Lecturer
>School of Arts, Media and Culture
>Griffith University
>Nathan Campus
>Queensland 4111
>Australia
>Phone: (07) 3875 5164
>Fax: (07) 3875 7730
>_______________________________________
>
>csaa-forum
>discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia
>
>www.csaa.asn.au

Dr. Terry Flew
Senior Lecturer and Discipline Head, Media and Communication
Course Co-ordinator, Creative Industries postgraduate coursework degree program
Reviews Editor, Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies

Creative Industries Faculty
Queensland University of Technology

GPO Box 2434
Brisbane Queensland 4001

Location: The Hub Z6-510 Kelvin Grove Urban Village
Phone: 61-07-3864 8188
Fax: 61-07-3864 8195
Mobile: 0405 070 980
Email: t.flew at qut.edu.au
Research profile:
http://www.creativeindustries.qut.com/people/staff/next.jsp?userid=flew&secid=Introduction

CRICOS No: 00213J

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or
confidential information. If you think you may not be the intended
recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or
disclose its contents to any other party. Please do not forward this email
- or sections of its content without checking with the sender in advance.
Thank you.