[csaa-forum] Trashy magpies

Terry Flew t.flew at qut.edu.au
Tue Oct 26 15:15:51 CST 2004

Jason

Thanks for the Frank Furedi reference. From what I've read of Frank
Furedi's history, from the Revolutionary Communist Party to advocacy for GM
crops today, he hardly seems the exemplar of disinterested scholarship, though.

For more on Frank Furedi, read
http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Frank_Furedi. Unfortunately, I
didn't find anything he had published under the name of Linda Ryan.

Cheers
Terry

At 03:06 PM 26/10/2004 +1000, you wrote:

>I don't see the problem with academics doing research for the sake of
>knowledge alone, rather than it having to be 'relevant'. It's about time
>we intellectuals started defending research that has bugger all to do with
>the real world and therefore resist the daft assertion that universities
>are there for employers alone. I would recommend to the list Frank
>Furedi's Where Have All The Intellectuals Gone?, a polemic against the
>dumbing down of higher education, which has received approbation from
>Terry Eagleton among others.
>

>Dr Jason Jacobs
>Senior Lecturer
>School of Arts, Media and Culture
>Griffith University
>Nathan Campus
>Queensland 4111
>Australia
>Phone: (07) 3875 5164
>Fax: (07) 3875 7730
>_______________________________________
>
>csaa-forum
>discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia
>
>www.csaa.asn.au

Dr. Terry Flew
Senior Lecturer and Discipline Head, Media and Communication
Course Co-ordinator, Creative Industries postgraduate coursework degree program
Reviews Editor, Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies

Creative Industries Faculty
Queensland University of Technology

GPO Box 2434
Brisbane Queensland 4001

Location: The Hub Z6-510 Kelvin Grove Urban Village
Phone: 61-07-3864 8188
Fax: 61-07-3864 8195
Mobile: 0405 070 980
Email: t.flew at qut.edu.au
Research profile:
http://www.creativeindustries.qut.com/people/staff/next.jsp?userid=flew&secid=Introduction

CRICOS No: 00213J

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or
confidential information. If you think you may not be the intended
recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or
disclose its contents to any other party. Please do not forward this email
- or sections of its content without checking with the sender in advance.
Thank you.