[csaa-forum] Trashy magpies

Jason Jacobs j.jacobs at griffith.edu.au
Tue Oct 26 14:36:29 CST 2004

I don't see the problem with academics doing research for the sake of
knowledge alone, rather than it having to be 'relevant'. It's about time
we intellectuals started defending research that has bugger all to do with
the real world and therefore resist the daft assertion that universities
are there for employers alone. I would recommend to the list Frank
Furedi's Where Have All The Intellectuals Gone?, a polemic against the
dumbing down of higher education, which has received approbation from
Terry Eagleton among others.

Dr Jason Jacobs
Senior Lecturer
School of Arts, Media and Culture