[csaa-forum] not meatloaf again

Russell Smith Russell.Smith at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 14:25:50 CST 2004

On John Howard's deafness to lyrics: there was a hilarious example a few
months back when Peter Garrett announced he was running for Labor. An
interviewer asked Howard if he liked Midnight Oil's music and he said he
liked the song "Beds Are Burning"....

Russell
--
At 09:32 AM 10/18/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>Oops, I accidentally typed Meatoaf. I think when Latham came out as a
>Meatloaf fan there was a slight element of demographic wilfulness about it
>all. I mean if he had really got the spin doctors to work a little harder
>they may have come up with some more convincing alternatives. For example
>if he wanted to appear in touch with the present while completely
>threatening he could have said Coldplay. Or if he wanted to be seriously
>70s retro perhaps he should have gone for KC & the Sunshine Band (now that
>would have been classy!). We know John Howard likes Bob Dylan (but not the
>lyrics). Mark could have been a real smartarse and said he liked Radiohead
>(but not the music).
>
>Laurie
>
>_______________________________________
>
>csaa-forum
>discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia
>
>www.csaa.asn.au

Dr Russell Smith
Lecturer in English
School of Humanities