[csaa-forum] Re: Marginal

Rob Garbutt rgarbutt at scu.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 15:05:29 CST 2004

Brett,

Where the marginal seats are makes sense to me and I wonder about the
horse and cart when assuming we are analysing complex cultural
processes following elections. It all seems so flavour of the month.
Which election was it a few years back -2000? - that we in "Rural and
Regional Australia" were the flavour? Politicians were all buying
Akubras and going on Listening Tours of The Bush (not W, that only
came later). The money flowed into Roads to Recovery, Radio National
got rid of Arts Today and now bores us stiff with another hour of
Life Matters and Bush Telegraph, our telephone exchange got a
software upgrade so we could experience Call Waiting, and strangers
would call kindly enquiring about my concerns.  Glory days.

Then along comes Mark Latham who seemed to spot the next fishing
ground - talking-up the aspirational voters and pushing the Third Way
in "The Enabling State" - when was that, 2001? and before you know
it, whoosh, everyone has gone Listening in Macarthur. (Latham had the
jump - when did he drop the batton?)

Movements in cultural analysis are possibly about uncovering complex
processes of social composition and an ossified geography of
political representation, but I wonder whether cultural analysis
driven by who the swinging voters are in marginal seats says anything
more fundamental than defining the people politicians are now
targeting using a cultural studies language.

Rob