[csaa-forum] Re: wanting to be effluent

Andrew Murphie a.murphie at unsw.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 12:59:19 CST 2004

Hi All,

I must admit I wonder if many of these ³reasons² aren¹t, despite their
reality as phantoms, phantoms nevertheless.

Perhaps it is difficult to talk about the current economies of fear (all
concerning ³security² - economic, territorial, the family ­ I would add
³cognitive security²) because this fear stalks the academic world as much as
anywhere and we could no longer point fingers elsewhere in blame, but would
have to challenge ourselves at this level. Fear ­ and a whole complex
machinery surrounding its production and maintenance - seemed to me to be
the clear election winner, the milieu of the election, and Howard¹s singular
achievement in office. I mean he¹s made himself the button to push whenever
he likes, and the content is just an afterthought. Fear provides the reasons
most things were said or not said, done or not done ­ or maybe I¹m just a
scared-y cat and everyone else is thinking clearly ...

If it¹s not just me, ...  the importance of new, alternative economies of
affect that some in the list have mentioned ­ Bifo mentioned ³love²
recently. I must say I was shocked.

--
"I thought I had reached port; but I seemed to be cast
back again into the open sea" (Deleuze and Guattari, after Leibniz)

Dr Andrew Murphie - Senior Lecturer
School of Media and Communications, University of New South Wales, Sydney,
Australia, 2052
web:http://media.arts.unsw.edu.au/homepage/Staff/Murphie/
fax:612 93856812 tlf:612 93855548 email: a.murphie at unsw.edu.au
room 311H, Webster Building