[csaa-forum] RE: wanting to be effluent

Jeannie Martin jeanniem at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 14 09:34:53 CST 2004

Two (admittedly tangential) quotes from a couple of characters who knew a
thing or two about these things

' Self-Sufficient Criticism humbles itself even to nonsense in practice and
history...complete and perfect in itself.. (it) must not recognise history
as it really took place. for that would mean recognising the base mass in
all its massy massiness.....  (it) has a free attitude to its object...
(so)..all  the laws of criticism have retroactive force: history behaved
quite differently before the decrees of Criticism than it did after them....
'

                          ' significant literary work can only come into
being in a strict alternation between action and writing: it must nurture
the inconspicuous forms that better fit its influence in active communities
than does the pretentious universal gesture of the book - only this prompt
language shows itself actively equal to the moment'

Like everyone else we have to work from (build from) what is at hand .  And
(at the level of daily life), people surely  need to do this with a smidgin
of generosity, and not through adding insult to injury (real or imagined),
especially if, as I suspect is the case, the issues facing people in daily
life are as much existential, are about finding meaning, as they are
'structural' ( it is possible that the deepest damage done by  more than a
decade of neo-liberalism and global stress has occurred at the level of
self - a surplus of meaning become a void) .  Long slow hard work,  most of
which might be pre-political.

Dr. Jeannie Martin
Adjunct Senior Research Fellow,
Centre For Cultural Research