[csaa-forum] RE: wanting to be effluent

Jean Burgess je.burgess at qut.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 07:24:35 CST 2004

Thinking about the uproar over Ricki Lee's departure from
Australian Idol as opposed to the deafening silence after the
election, and Stephen Coleman's work on audience engagement
with Big Brother in comparison to big "p" Politics, I wonder
if "consumption" is an explanatory enough concept; relatedly,
it seems that both we and the two big parties are
misrecognizing the majority of Australian people's modes of
enacting citizenship.