[csaa-forum] FREEDOM!

Esther Milne EMilne at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Wed Oct 13 13:14:49 CST 2004

did anyone else find it extremely ironic & cultstuddingly apposite that
on Monday's show the judges were urging Austrayans 'to have their voice
heard' , 'to make their vote count' and 'not to be apathetic' etc?

it really was a spectacular exploration of participatory democracy!

incidentally, if you want to get the full Idol experience in terms of
consumption, class and politics - you ahve to check out the webboards:

http://au.messages.yahoo.com/australianidol/

cheers,
Esther
(go chanel).

Dr Esther Milne
Media and Communications
Swinburne University of Technology
John Street
Hawthorn VIC 3122
AUSTRALIA

>>> charles.fairchild at arts.usyd.edu.au 13/10/2004 1:10:25 pm >>>
I'm particularly interested in this discussion on Australian politics
because I'm not Australian, but have moved here with my Aussie partner

for the long term, so last weekend was my first experience of my new
political culture. What amazed me was the clear lessons the Republican

Party in my home country of the US of A have been givning the Liberals.

And I am amazed at the tropes and themes Howard and his cronies have
been using and adapting to Australian politics. If you criticize
consumerism or capitalism you are simply beyond the pale in the US. So

when people pop up and appear on the defensive about houses or
furniture
and their suspected connections to political ideology, I get a bit
confused. Did I miss something? Did someone actually say 'you can't
have
a nice house'? 'you can't shop at Freedom'? 'you can't get a plasma
TV'?
Did someone actually say 'you must sit in a small unit without
air-conditioning with furniture from St. Vinnie's, no car, no tv and
read only critical theory all day? I thought the point of studying
consumerism from a critical perspective was precisely to understand
what
it is exactly that people get out of it, all the pleasure of buying new

things and angst about affordability and sustainability. To me it is
the
kinds of economic relationships that result from specific models of
consumerism that I can't get away from. There is a clear political
connection in the States between 'faulty consumer' (i.e poor person)
and
'faulty citizen.' And it comes out in places I would not have
suspected.
For example, when I taught Australian Idol last week in my popular
music
class all of this stuff about class and consumerism and politics came
pouring out without me having to bring it up at all. Last week, a
student went on a rant about how betrayed she felt when she found out,

supposedly, that Guy Sebastian was planning to vote Liberal. I have no

conclusions about any of this, but it seems to me that the connection
between citiizeship and consumerism is unavoidable in our practice.

And can you believe that Ricky Lee is gone?!

Charles Fairchild
Department of Music
University of Sydney

csaa-forum
discussion list of the cultural studies association of australasia

www.csaa.asn.au

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.