[csaa-forum] Asian (non-)voters

Mark Kelly mgekelly at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:37:30 CST 2004

This brings me to mention something that I hear no-one else mentioning,
which is the number of people in Australia who didn't vote in this election
despite voting being mandatory (this is close to my heart because I am not
Australian and hence couldn't vote) - the number of voters in this election
seems to be a bit over 10 million, but politicians keep saying there are 20
million people in Australia. People who migrate to Australia as I understand
it fail in large numbers to become Australian citizens, rather having the
permanent residency status which gives them most of the benefits, but not
the vote - hence I think a lot of Chinese in Sydney, say, are still outside
the electoral process. There's also another group who don't vote, namely
Australians who aren't registered. A fair few people I know in the leftie
millieu simply aren't registered, and I wonder what effect this has on the
results, whether left-leaning people tend not to vote? Certainly it's the
case in most countries that the tendency is still that with lower
socio-economic status comes lower voting levels *and* more left-wing
tendencies.
Mark