[csaa-forum] RE: wanting to be effluent

Indigo Williams Willing adoptedvietnamese at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 15:08:32 CST 2004

RE: the whole freedom shopping/home renovations thing that Sally intially
brought up - I agree with her on the consumerism rather than class link.
The whole thing is perhaps most compelling because these forms of cultural
consumption have become the true opiate for the masses (is this too
neo-Marxist?). For example, while reality tv (a la Merlin on BB) and even
brekky talk shows (hattie versus david koch) can get political, the home
reno tv shows are safe and long advertisements for material goodies and
property. But one could say the same thing about the popularity of 'high'
and 'low' culture cooking shows, be it a Neil Perry special or Hughie's
cooking adventures - another major Australian obsession outside of sport. My
own concern is not so much where Australian tastes lie. What is troubling is
a creeping suspicion there's a big electorate out there that that would
prefer to see Latham (or Howard) pose with voters outside an expensive
mansion or a surburban mall than outside Villawood Detention Centre or The
Block in Sydney's Redfern.

And did someone ask about the Chinese residents in Sylvania Waters? Diane?

All I can say is that I hope they weren't the ones cheering on Howard
throughout the election.  As far as the 'Asian' vote goes, there's a number
of middle-class honkies (hong kong) and former middle class/then refugee
vietnamese in Australia who are very disturbed by anything closely left
wing. Read any number of such diaspora studies. This is understandable given
that Communist China and Vietnam have not been kind to them in the past.  As
for Families First - they might also appeal.  Believe it or not,
Christianity has a 'groovy' and exotic appeal for some Asians in the same
way that shonky Buddhism has somehow gained 'groovy' and exotic appeal for
Westerners.
Indigo Williams Willing (Thuy Thi Diep Huynh)
Post-Grad Student, Sociology - current (UQ)