[csaa-forum] RE: wanting to be effluent

John Scannell diaspora at tig.com.au
Tue Oct 12 14:10:23 CST 2004

Amanda

Some of my best friends are from the Sutherland Shire.
In fact I knew I'd cop it when I mentioned 'the Shire'.

>What makes your so called 'white trash' of Sutherland shire 'delusional
>aspirationals'?

I didn't intimate that all of Sutherland Shire was 'white trash' and if
I did I apologise. But the Shire is still heavily Anglo by Sydney
standards - there are a lot of British Ex-pats down there and its all
very insular and creepy.

>What about the invisible (to you) comfortable middle classes of the
>northern suburbs?

Actually the reality is I probably have more relation to this group than
I do the people you mention. I mean there is more chance of me calling
my child Eloise than say Epponnee. More chances of me looking at an
Italian suit than a Commemorative Cat plate. In fact that is THE PROBLEM
that the left must identify...(err not the child names...) but the
complexity of the situation. I was being deliberately provocative, only
because polemics (among left wing friends) will get people a little
pissed off and continue the discussion...

>What makes them not? Is it because 'white trash' spend
>their money on the wrong things?

Yes. Because it is the white trash who will buy a plasma TV to get a
better reception on Foxtel instead of a book. Hence the problem...The
real money people just hang out with Murdoch himself.

>Pastel coloured houses and Freedom
>furniture instead of Old Federation Home & Antique furniture?

Well the whole Freedom thing is not my distinction...that belongs to
another poster. Basically the difference is that the North Shore and
Eastern Suburbs Liberals have no relation to the Shire ones. The beauty
of Howard is that he united them. Hopefully Costello will divide them
again in future.

Old Federation Home & Antique furniture?

I may have to write out a list. Lenny Bruce used to do a great
delineation between Jewish and Goyish...I'll have to write one up.

>The latter
>on the right side of 'Distinction' in your view? The former 'sold out'
>by making a few bucks and spending it on  'low culture'?

See I have no problem with 'low culture'. I fact I don't believe in such
a distinction...I am not an elitist (really) I

>What makes the fitter & turner, the butcher, the builder, the service
>station owner made good (standard issue Sutherland shire residents)
>lesser mortals because they shop at Westfield Miranda? (like the
>'working classes' don't....)

Good point. It shouldn't appear like I am attacking the people here - I
mean surely there is other public infrastructure in the area other than
Miranda Mall...things like libraries etc. Things that are free to the
communitity. I guess I am pissed off that no one worries about the
continual erosion of public amenities and are given a Westfield instead.
In those circumstances - I agree, what can the people do? I am just
pissed off that I have to go all the way to Moore Park Supacenta when I
need something from IKEA.

>These people are as multidimensional as you or I. Did they 'all' swing
>to Pauline Hanson in 1998? (My recollection is about 8% ONP vote in
>shire in 98 - they've been a safe Liberal seat since 1975)

That's a pretty big swing for a racist party. I bet Labor wishes they
had that swing on Sat night.
I used 'the Shire' as an example. I could have used the Hills district
as well...no doubt inspiring more trouble...but the thing is I know I am
the outsider in this situation - anyone on a CSAA list is. The problem
is just gonna get worse...

>I'm also
>aware much of that vote came from booths in the western part of the
>shire - those more 'working class' /fibro house suburbs in the shire.

Good to know.

>What about all the new Chinese residents in Sylvania Waters? Where do
>they fit in your schema?

Well it's the only hope in my books. 'Break the (Anglo) Generational
Curse' as evangelist Benny Hinn says.

>As Jean says, we must not (patronisingly) conflate cultural
>distinctions/'low culture' with issues based voting patterns.

True, I agree. My comments were tongue-in-cheek, although as Shakespeare
said (or was it Benny Hinn...) ah doesn't matter.
I'm just cranky...
Basically the Arts and Humanities are first on the chopping block in
this regime. I'll see you in accountancy...

>You will also find that many 'white trash' are keenly aware of their
>cultural marginalisation, created unthinkingly sometimes by the likes of
>us on the progressive left - creating the conditions for a counter
>identification with Howard's brand of 'everyday small business bloke
>made good' politics.

Look you're right - I am in accord with you on this. I am cranky with
Labor's lack of proper identification of who they should try and claw
back...Is Mark Latham appealing to people in fibros? There are not many
fibros around Werriwa now...plenty of what they call McMansions ala
Hills district. Labor is gonna be pushing shit uphill...

>Our patronising and elitist cultural attitudes
>towards that demographic simply alienates them and puts then on the
>defensive. We are sometimes our own worst enemies...

But the thing is - we are the alienated ones now...
John