[csaa-forum] RE: wanting to be effluent

John Scannell diaspora at tig.com.au
Tue Oct 12 12:37:44 CST 2004

Mel

Your 'bogan' project is an insightful one...actually it also draws my
attention to the fact that I have always seen a rather strict
delineation between the bogan and what I perceive as the 'white trash'
threat.
I know we don't use that term bogan here in NSW, discourse being what it
is, but I have empathy with Bogans/Westies but find myself at odds with
white trash, mainly because of the element of delusional aspiration that
I ascribe to the latter.
For instance, in a Sydney based context I see Westies/Bogans as more
working class and aware of their marginalisation whereas for me 'white
trash' is the working class that think they are upwardly mobile and
forget how they acheived that mobility which is representing more and
more of this vaguely identified majoritarian group.
So you could say that Westies are not the same people as those that hail
from 'the Shire' - the Sutherland Shire in Sydney - who all swung to
Pauline Hanson a few years back and have swung to the Liberals again
now. Many of the Westies do listen to Meatloaf but they have probably
burnt the CDs rather than go to Miranda Fair to buy them.
A great analogy can be found in Woody Allen's Small Time Crooks, which
although maligned by critics at the time I found to be much more
insightful about what the former working class does when its finds its
out of its depth in the cultural capital stakes. Far more insightful
than say a movie such as The Castle which has all of its archetypes
screwed up and pissed me off no end. Kath and Kim is similar in this
respect (although closer to white trash than boganism, they way I see
it). You can sort me out on that.
Mark Latham needs to be more aware of this delineation (and I can offer
my services to the Labor party).
They could easily get hold of the lists of subscribers to 'the Franklin
Mint' and the Hillsong Church for a start.
This would help identify the those that they have lost forever and who
probably now live or are planning to live on the NSW central coast.
John