[csaa-forum] CFP - Distributed Aesthetics

Andrew Murphie a.murphie at unsw.edu.au
Sat Oct 2 16:24:08 CST 2004

Distributed Aesthetics ­ Call for Papers for fibreculture journal, issue to
be published May 2005

It has been widely argued by sociologists, cultural and media theorists such
as Manuel Castells, Arjun Appardurai and Geert Lovink that we now live in a
landscape shaped by the flows and traffic of globally networked information.
We have become, in Castells words, a Œnetworked society¹ and our cultural,
social and economic practices must operate within this global space of
flows. The geography of place and history in which association through
physical proximity and tradition such as neighbourhood, or through
identification based upon race, class or sex, recedes to give way to
information space. Artists have responded to this shifting cultural
landscape by taking up the net itself as a medium for practice, by forming
their own artistic networks facilitated by net infrastructure and
functionality, and by critically responding to what distributed
spatio-temporalities might mean for the art object itself, for art
production and for audience interaction. Beyond the identification of an
historical art movement ­ net.art ­ distributed aesthetics names ways of
artistically operating in a time and space of information flows, and of
engendering modes of perception specific to these flows.

In this issue of fibreculture journal, we are seeking contributions to the
aesthetic and artistic theorisation, use and development of networked
spaces, times and technologies. How, in short, has the network considered in
its broadest sense contributed technically and culturally to contemporary
modes of perception? Writers may approach this from the perspective of
speculative, empirical, historical and/or critical theories. Specific case
studies of online artistic practice, the use of ICTs in artistic community
and collaboration, politics and networked aesthetics, and analyses of
networked art projects are encouraged.

Topics specifically sought for inclusion are:

-The differences between and relationship of new media aesthetics to
networked aesthetics
-The geopolitics of online artistic communities.
-Activism and online art/practice
-Theories of distributed time and space as they relate to the production and
management of perception.
-Artistic projects that operate in mixed ­ online/offline ­ modes.
-Online aesthetics after net.art, including wireless, mobile, p2p and opens
source models.
Distributed Aesthetics will be guest edited by Lisa Gye, Anna Munster and
Ingrid Richardson

Submission Dates:
Please submit a 250 word abstract outlining the principal argument of your
paper, its scope and major methodologies to Anna Munster, guest editor of
Distributed Aesthetics
No later than December 20, 2004
A.Munster at unsw.edu.au

Completed papers due: February 28, 2005

Dr. Anna Munster
Senior Lecturer
Post-Graduate Coordinator
School of Art History and Theory,
College of Fine Arts
University of NSW
P.O Box 259
Paddington, 2021
NSW
Australia
ph: 612 9385 0741
fx: 612 9385 0615
--
"I thought I had reached port; but I seemed to be cast
back again into the open sea" (Deleuze and Guattari, after Leibniz)

Dr Andrew Murphie - Senior Lecturer
School of Media and Communications, University of New South Wales, Sydney,
Australia, 2052
web:http://media.arts.unsw.edu.au/homepage/Staff/Murphie/
fax:612 93856812 tlf:612 93855548 email: a.murphie at unsw.edu.au
room 311H, Webster Building