[csaa-forum] Origins of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra

Vincent O'Donnell Vincent.O'Donnell at ems.rmit.edu.au
Fri Aug 13 10:12:47 CST 2004

Dear csaa-forum,

Some moderately long time ago, I heard a radio program on ABC RN (I think) that told the history of the Sydney Symphony
Orchestra. The program included interviews with some (now) elderly women.  They claimed a key role in lobbying ABC
management in the 1930s to establish a permanent orchestra for Sydney.  Phillip Sametz's book on the SSO gives them no
recognition, but I want to confirm and cite their influence in my Ph D thesis on the ways cultural policy is created,
evolved and influenced.

Any suggestions for the title of the program, or perhaps of the names of the individuals.... or indeed any hints, would
be greatly appreciated.

Vincent O'Donnell MA
School of Applied Communication, RMIT
GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne, Vic., 3001
Tel. 03 9925 3028  Fax. 03 9639 1685

Note: This message contains information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  It may also be
confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message
you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received
this message in error please contact the addressee named above.