[csaa-forum] Rebecca and the beach

Melissa Iocco Melissa.Iocco at utas.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 11:07:42 CST 2004

Hi all,

I have been following this discussion with interest. I think Graeme's
comments about the importance of the teacher-student relationships are spot
on, well, they are for me anyway. Interaction with students, giving a good
lecture or getting students excited about whatever I'm teaching that week
is often that which sustains my very interest in pursuing a career in
academia. Perhaps this is naive of me, especially considering I'm on a .5
contract and am having a painful time finishing my PhD, and perhaps
teaching provides me with a welcome distraction from my thesis. That said,
having a passion for teaching, and enjoying my interaction with students
provides me with some relief from the 'what am i doing here?' mental
merry-go-round which only seems to spiral downwards anyway...

my 2 cents,

Melissa (mel # 3?)